Ageing: How to Live a Shorter Life
Written by Keith D. Bishop, Clinical Nutritionist, B.Sc. Pharmacy, Health Coach - May 6, 2010
Simple Anti Ageing Tips: Four unhealthy lifestyle habits can remove 12 years off a person’s
According a study published in the Archives of Internal
Medicine smoking, lack of physical activity, poor diet and alcohol consumption can shave 12 years off
Researchers in the United Kingdom studied the lifestyle behaviors of almost 5,000 participants. One point was
allocated for each of the following behaviors:
• Eating fruits and vegetables less than three times daily
• Getting fewer than two hours of physical activity weekly
• Drinking more than 8 drinks weekly for women and 12 drinks weekly for men
After an average of 20 years follow-up researcher found:
• People with 4 points compared with 0 points for poor health behaviors had about three times the risk of dying
prematurely of cardiovascular disease or cancer and four times the risk of dying from all other causes.
• People with 4 points lived 12 years shorter than those with 0 points.
• The risk of premature death from all causes and from each cause increased with each additional poor health
Reference Source: Archives of Internal Medicine, 2010
Apr 26;170(8):711-8. Influence of individual and combined health behaviors on
total and cause-specific mortality in men and women: the United Kingdom health and lifestyle survey. Kvaavik
E, Batty GD, Ursin G, Huxley R, Gale CR.
Source: American Institute for Cancer Research
Return from Anti Ageing - How to Live a Shorter Life to 2010 Natural Care